With the high cost of tickets for flight travel, accommodation and eating out, travel expenses can add up to a tidy sum. Once you have tallied all the possible travel expenses, you do not want to be charged for overweight luggage. The cost of overweight baggage varies from airline to airline, but it can cost anywhere between $100 to $200 per bag on an average. To avoid exorbitant fines, it pays to plan ahead:
1. Know the baggage rules – Visit the airline’s website and navigate to the “Baggage” page. You will find all the rules pertaining to the weight, size and the number of bags they allow you to check. Baggage is considered overweight when it is heavier than 50 pounds, but the rules tend to vary among airlines and even among destinations. Some airline companies allow heavier bags on international flights. Make sure that you read the rules for the situation and destination thoroughly before you book your travel ticket.
2. Spread it and shed it – Lay out all the items that you want to pack and look them over before you start packing. A lot of people tend to pack in excess, so taking a look at all the items can give you a chance to pare it down. Remove shoes that don’t go with an outfit, toys that your kids won’t need and other items you are not going to use on your travel.
3. Heavy items – Pack the heavy items in your carry-on luggage. If you have toys or books that you can’t do without during your travel, chances are you might need them during the plane ride. Although, this would mean heavier carry-on, you can always use a cart if you don’t have a rolling suitcase.
4. Use a luggage scale – Weigh your bag before you take it to the airport. A bathroom scale would suffice. If your bag is overweight, unload a few items off it. If it is just one or two pounds short of being overweight, remove a couple of items as a precautionary measure in case your scale is less sensitive.
5. Pack another bag – If you have planned on checking only one bag, consider checking another, as it can save you money and still allow you to bring all the things that you need. To give you an idea, an overweight bag might cost anywhere between $100 to $200, whereas an extra bag will just cost you anywhere between $25 to $35. Even if you decide to check three bags, it will still be cheaper than the cost of paying for overweight luggage. You can save precious money on the travel that you can spend on accommodation.